My ever persistant Facebook addicted friends finally suckered me into joining their cult about 2 months ago. I tried to resist, I really did, and I succeeded for quite awhile. I quickly discarded all of their "So-and-so wants you to join them on Facebook!!" emails without a second glance, knowing that it was in my best interest to not start another time sucking internet based venture.
They finally got to me...My friend from forever, R, started talking about all this dish she was finding out about people that we graduated with...and how she was reconnecting with all of these people...and how it REALLY was an easy way to get in and keep in touch with people...those that you see often and those that you haven't seen or talked to in years.
Well, finally, one bored ass day I took the leap (What's that saying about idle hands and the devil's playground???). And OMG, you really CAN reconnect with people! And, OMG, it WAS really nice to get in touch with some people that I would never have were it not for Facebook. I was actually glad that I did it!
But then, people started sending me these application invitations...Ya know (or maybe you don't...maybe you have been successful at resisting the pull of FB - so far), someone sent me a tree that I can plant and grow on My Farm...and someone else sent me a "Break for Mommy" thingy, and someone else wanted me to "Join their Cause" and just by clicking I was helping to donate to one cause or another...Then I got some little sea animal for my Cove, and just by doing blah-biddy-blah I would be helping to save a square foot of rainforest...and on and on and on...I started becoming overwhelmed with all of the requests I had to sort through. I did some of them for awhile, but decided that saving the rainforest via FB Apps was not as important as playing with my toddler or even SLEEPING at night, and I deleted most of my Apps and started ignoring requests left and right. My FB experience has now become more enjoyable and managable once again.
I do remain addicted to a couple of apps...R got me into playing rounds of WordTwist with her and her sister (she swears it's her sisters fault...) and my brain is definitely addicted to the challenge. I am also addicted to Flair, and so I returned the favor to R by sending her tons of flair to fuel my addiction (because, just like everything else on FB, you must send to receive, ya know).
Overall, I AM glad I joined. I really HAVE reconnected with some people that I miss, and that I would not have without FB. In fact, remember him?? (Also see here) After only slightly, kinda, sorta stalking his sisters FB page (which luckily for me happened to be completely public) for a couple of weeks, I found him. I felt like a little school girl as I send him a friend request along with a little message stating I was hoping to find him on FB and would love to do a little catching up. I feel weird admitting that I had butterflies in my stomach and that I checked my page quite obsessively waiting to see if he would accept my request. He did, and we emailed back and forth a few times, and filled each other in on our lives and such, and agreed that we should meet up for drinks and catching up in our old haunt at the lake sometime. I really would love to, but wonder if it might be too akward, and wonder what kind of reaction the idea would get from my dear W and JJ's dear girlfriend...Since emailing with him, I have had weird dreams about akward meetings with him. It may forever remain a FB reconnection, which might be okay, too.
I do remain slighty eeked out by the whole 'stalker' type aspect that, IMO, is part of the draw for people. I have received requests from people whom REALLY have no other reason to want to be my friend on FB than to look through my pictures and see who / what I am talking about on a daily basis...I have repeatedly ignored a couple of requests, and don't feel guilty in the least (as long as I never run into them in public and have them ask why I haven't accepted their friend request. Sure, you think "who would actually confront someone on something like that?" but seriously, I have no doubt that a couple of these people would!). And yet, I would be lying if I didn't admit that some of the people I have befriended I have done so to fulfill the stalker in myself, or to see pictures of the snotty, perfect little rich bitch from HS who is now fat and unhappy with 3 snot nosed brats running around.
So yeah, if you haven't fallen prey to the whole FB phenomenon, best of luck to you...It can be such a powerful tool, but also a HUGE waste of your time!!!
So Very Many Mixed Emotions
19 hours ago
3 comments:
I have avoided the FB thing myself. Although I have used MySpace. Right now, the last thing I need is another time suck and I was on home studies in HS anyways - so I can't exactly virtually stalk my mom - haha!
To add the V.U. link - I edited my blog layout, then added a gadget - I chose the "Picture" one. You can upload the picture and then it says "link" and just put in http://www.violenceunsilenced.com and VIOLA!
Hope that works. :)
Bah,from everything I have seen and heard about it, I just want to stay away. This just reinforces that for me, fer sure. BTW, how are you feeling these days?
Damn you, you outed my FB addiction too! LOL! And it was J's fault on the WordTwist. She started the invites.
And yes, there are a few times where I hesitate because I do feel like a stalker...just a little. But, as petty as it is, it puts a little smile on my face and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I see pictures of "those" people.
Post a Comment