After many strike-outs, I finally managed to get my hands on a mattress on freecycle for L's toddler bed, and we set it up on Saturday.
What an excited little boy we have!!
I wasn't ever planning on using a toddler bed. We received an awesome single bed size wooden bed frame with the nice headboard and drawers underneath from my old boss a while back, and just planned on moving L right into that in the downstairs bedroom when it came time to move him out of the crib. However, I discovered that for whatever reason, I am just not comfortable at this point to have L sleeping downstairs, in a big bed, with us upstairs. It may be irrational fears, but I am just not comfortable with it, and decided we had to come up with a different plan. I think if HE was upstairs and we were downstairs, I would be okay with him being that far away, it's just the idea of him being on the main floor and us being upstairs that doesn't sit well...I mean, if someone broke in, he would be the first one they came across, and I am just not okay with that at this point.
Seeing that the big bed is just too large to cram into the room upstairs with the crib, I decided that we would have to find a toddler bed to put in there. I was able to find a used bed frame for $25 at Once Upon A Child after continually not having luck with the ones I was finding on freecycle, and then finally was able to find a mattress this weekend for free!! YAY!!
I also stopped and picked L up his own, brand new pillow (for only $5!!) and got his bed all set up this weekend. He was in 7th heaven, and must have played on his bed with his cars for at least an hour. I couldn't even get him to come downstairs!
Our first attempt at nap time in the new bed didn't go very well, though. There was just too much excitement over the new digs, I think. I could tell there was no way he was going to settle down in a timely fashion and actually FALL ASLEEP on his new bed, so we just used the crib. I am going to give it a little time to loose it's new excitement, and think we will give it a serious go this weekend and try to get him to actually SLEEP on the bed.
L had a pretty funny moment of realization about the whole situation when my In-laws came over and he was showing them his new bed...G-ma said "You get to sleep in your new big boy bed because when the baby comes, the baby will need to sleep in the crib" L stopped in his tracks, thought about it for a second and said "No, MY crib!" I think even if we have the sleeping in the bed thing down before baby arrives, we still may face some regression and objecting from him on letting the baby sleep in 'his' crib.
Seeing him laying in his toddler bed is so bittersweet! I really can't believe how quickly the time goes when it is being measured by your child(ren)'s growth. It truly TRULY goes too fast.
So Very Many Mixed Emotions
19 hours ago
3 comments:
It is hard to hear those kinds of things from their mouths when they suddenly realize that you are not just getting fat!! Congrats on the new bed, and I will be sending up good vibes for a peaceful transition for ALL of you!!
The little man didn't like his sister sleeping in the crib...even though he had been out of it for 5 months by then. Kids! He got over it pretty quick though.
Kind of amkes you realize how much stuff they are not really "getting" yet huh?
Totally understand that you wouldn't want him so seperated from you at night just yet. He may be growing up, but will still be your baby (even when the new one arrives).
Not really looking forward to moving Champ into a bed. Maybe we are both attatched to the cot.
Post a Comment