About Me

I am a 30 year old mom - of TWO BOYS!?!, wife, career woman, sister, friend, auntie and daughter and this blog is JUST FOR ME...In a busy life of putting everyone else first (as most of us mums do) it is going to be one of the things that I make time to do FOR ME...it's going to be a place for me to put down my thoughts and maybe make some sense of all the things that roll around in my head; make some sense of my journey...It's going to be a view of me, from inside.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Oh he is SO our child...and the next battle.

My newest niece was baptized on Saturday after 5 o'clock mass, and we could have just went to the baptism and skipped mass, but like a good auntie and uncle, we loaded L up and headed to mass with the rest of the family. We still feel inclined to put on the show I guess...W more so than I, but whatever. We do both honestly give it a chance each time we are so inclined to go (which, since our wedding in 2005 has been a total of 4 times...the baptisms of my 3 nieces, and L's own baptism), and we DO try to see if we can get anything out of it, but for me, as is always the case, the only thing I seemed to get out of it was more proof of things about the belief system that just don't ring true nor sit right with me, and more proof that I do NOT want to allow my children to be brainwashed into believing that there is only one *right* answer...

And yet, it works for my brother and his wife, and for many others, and I *do* want my children to see different faiths *working* for different people - cuz THAT'S exactly what I want them to learn and believe - that there are many paths and none of them is the only *right* answer. (Except for those who believe they will be celebrated in the afterlife for killing those who believe differently from them - I am sorry, but that I cannot accept.)

So we enter the church and as we are walking down the aisle, L is walking in front of me and I am holding his hand...he gets about halfway to where we are going and I hear this slow cry starting which quickly builds up to a full fledged cry as he turns around to me and puts his arms up and let's me know that he needs-to-be-picked-up-RIGHT-NOW-Mama-cuz-I-am-not-comfortable-here! So I pick him up and he wrapped himself around me, buried his face in my neck and clung on for dear life! He stopped crying, but continued to cling on to me for dear life. He dared here and there to peak out and check out his surroundings, but it took half of the mass for him to even want to do that. When he did dare to look around, he found that there ARE lots of interesting things to look at in a church, but I am pretty sure he still felt intimidated by the space and all the people. Each time the congregation started singing, he would cling a little tighter and peer out and around.

He did not make a peep until people started getting up to go up to communion, when he blurted out "Can we go home now?!" which resonated through the silent shuffling of those going up to partake in the eating of their savior (?!?!), and elicited a few chuckles.

After mass was over, and all the people were gone save for those of us attending the baptism, and the lights were dimmed down, he loosened up and played with his cousin while waiting for the baptism. So, honestly, I think it was more all of the people which made him nervous more so than anything else.

But still, W and I could not help but find a little bit of humor in L's reaction to mass. I cannot blame him, I feel a little traumatized each time I go myself ;0)


Sadly, the baptism just reaffirmed in my mind and my heart and my soul that I just do not want to baptize this child...We had this discussion again on the way home, and W is STILL of the mindset that we *have* to do it, so as not to cause waves, and so as not to freak the family out. For me, it comes back to the fact that to THEM, it really means something...to THEM, when we stand up there with them as witnesses, and we *promise* to raise our child in the catholic church, that is exactly what it is - a promise that we intend to raise them that way. And I have NO INTENTION what-so-ever of doing so, and neither does W. And although I may not hold the faith system in my heart, I still RESPECT it, and THEM, and THEIR faith in it. So, to me, it isn't fair to THEM to go up there and make those promises knowing full well that we do not intend to keep them, knowing that it REALLY MEANS something more to them.

And it's not fair to US that they cannot just be accepting of our decisions, and that we should feel that we have to do something against our better judgement in order to 'not offend the family'. What irritates me more than anything is that if we express our true spiritual beliefs, they will think differently of us? How is that? Are we not the same people they love day in and day out? The same loving, decent human beings? But finding out that we do not share their exact religious beliefs will somehow make them like or love us less?? Somehow make us lesser people? That is THEIR shortcoming, as far as I am concerned, and I am so tired of that way of conditionally being loved.

My father even came to me during dinner afterward and asked if we were going to have Father J (the priest who baptised my neices and L, who was joining us for dinner) baptize this baby also, and I was truthful when I said "Dad - we don't know WHAT we are going to do with this baby." And he said okay, but I know he didn't for one moment think that meant that we may NOT baptise the baby, just that we didn't know where or when.

This will be the next battle - for me personally and spiritually, for W and I (as I said, he is still very much of the camp that we just do it and move on), and for us and our families.

For me personally, I think it is the opportunity I need to take to come clean with MY family...I need to be true to MYSELF and true to MY JOURNEY. The hardest part of that is that this is not JUST my journey - OUR children are not just MY journey - they are W's also, and I need to respect his position in this journey as well. I need to figure out how to respect us both, and right now I have no idea how I am going to do that...

6 comments:

Kori said...

I agree with and relate to your feelings, because it is SO hard when you don't believe what "they" do, and to want better or rather different for your own family. I also agree, however (shoot me now if you want) with W in that sometimes it is better for hte peace of the family to just do it and move on. We had Owen blessed in the Mormon church, not because I gave a shit but because it was very important to Steve's family, and we also had him dedicated at my church-and it hasn't made a bit of difference in how we are raising him. Steve's family knows how I feel, and they respect that (or at least they don't SAY anything), and for ME anyway, it was worth it simply because it was important to them. I personally don't believe in baptizing infants anyway, I believe that a child should be baptized (or an adult for that matter) when THEY decide to, so I don't think any of those rituals that churches in general do really MEAN anything anyway. Just my two cents.

And WHERE IS THAT NEW BABY? I was hoping for some news when I got home......hope you are feeling okay, all things considered....

justme said...

Totally not gonnna shoot you lady - I appreciate your input! And honestly? I will probably give in and do it 'for the family's sake' but there in lies part of the dilemma in my mind - is it more important to them that we just do it, or would they be MORE upset when they realize that is EXACTLY what we did - just did it for the show rather than for the fact that it really meant something to us? Cuz for ME, personally, I guess I would prefer that someone do something spiritual(like baptism) because it really MEANS something to them, and not just because someone else wanted them to...KWIM? But OBVIOUSLY, most of these people would rather see 'the show' than open their minds to accept the fact that other beliefs are indeed valid and indeed OKAY and my baby isn't going to burn in hell if I don't baptize him/her...SIGH. Like I said though - I totally appreciate your input.

You and me were both hoping for baby new, LMAO!! I am feeling ok. SO BEYOND done, extremely sore, tired, bitchy and done - but okay!!! ;0) I just keep telling myself every night when I go to bed that tonight could be the night, and the same every morning when I crawl off the couch to face another day!

oneheavenlyheart said...

Well, this is never an easy subject to talk about. I certainly haven't found ANY answers.

It gets SO tiring having to be the bigger better person all the time. Especially when, if they would just "GET IT", it could all be so EASY.

I go through a lot of motions to appease people. Sometimes it's just easier that way. I buy people Christmas presents. It has absolutely nothing to do with jesus or family ritual or the bible or anything for me, but I do it because that's when other people like to get presents. I say happy birthday to people. For me to call or see or say happy birthday to my mom or dad on their actual birthday (TO THEM) means something awful about john the baptiser losing his head or something. I'm not actually quite sure when my moms birthday even is. I just go with the motions - keep them comfortable - they're the ones with all the hangups.

If only people could learn to worry about their own problems and not so much about ours, eh? Whatever.

Ms. Moon said...

Here's the thing I find ironic- if you do go through with the Baptism, just to keep peace, then you will have to stand up there and LIE. Okay? Lie in church. And I don't like to lie. Anywhere. I think it's bad for the karma and sucks the soul. Or something like that. "Speak the truth and fear no man!" Easier said than done, but something to consider.
I think that all my children were baptized when the first drops of rain ever hit their tiny heads.
Blessed rain, holy water.

Maggie May said...

My girlfriend went through this and ended up doing it. She isn't the type to give two craps about lying in church though :
)

justme said...

M- Exactly, I just get so tired of compromising *MY* beliefs so as not to upset their fragile spiritual worlds...SIGH.

Ms.Moon - That's EXACTLY my issue!! I am LYING; to them, to the priest, to the higher power. And yes, I totally believe it is bad for my karma, and it shows no respect for their beliefs and their religion, and as I said, although I may not hold the same truths in my heart, I still RESPECT them and their beliefs (even if I would not be or am not afforded the same respect), and THAT is my biggest reason for not wanting to do it.

Maggie - thanks for stopping in...I hope that if I do cave, that I can get past the lying part myself. I still feel guilty for doing it with my son - mostly guilty to my brother and my friends daughter - L's godmother and godfather...I feel bad for misleading them.