So the Feminist in me reared her gorgeous head last night...She still kinda takes me off guard when she surges forward with her sort of newly found voice...
My father-in-law and his wife invited us over for supper last night, which totally ROCKS on a weekday since it means that the mad dash that constitutes 'evening' in our house does not have to be so mad, and there are no dishes to find time for, either.
So we were sitting in the living room after seriously gorging on some bad ass chili, and the CMA's happened to be on the TV (or the TB, as the boy would say ;0) ). I am not a country fan, but whatever. So some chic in a pretty tight, short black skirt and low cut top was singing some song, and L was glued in his spot watching her intently.
"You like that peanut? Does she sing so pretty?"
"Yeah" he says, without even a sideways glance...
"Yeah, she sings alot prettier than Mama"
Then my father in law decides to add his two cents and this is what I hear come out of his mouth:
"She's SEXY, huh buddy, can you say 'sexy'?"
Cue angry feminist voice screaming in my head WHAT THE FUCK!? Are you fucking kidding me? Did you really just tell my 2 year old son that this chic is SEXY? And not only that but try to teach him to SAY IT? Did you really just imply to my son, who happened to be just enjoying a beautiful voice and song, that he should pay more attention to the fact that this lady is SEXY than just enjoy the beautiful voice that is radiating out of her mouth? I really wanted to channel some BHJ awesomeness and slice my FIL's head off with a samurai sword in one fell swoop...
Seriously.
The level of my anger at that statement took me by surprise. And really, it may seem like no big deal to him, and really, it may NOT be as big a deal as angry feminist voice made it out to be, but honestly, that type of shit DOES make a difference. Those subtle messages that we send to our children even, or maybe even ESPECIALLY, at this young age DO matter, and will shape their mentality towards all types of things later in life, and I will be damned if my son will grow up viewing women as objects.
Yes, she was beautiful. And she was sexy. And I don't think for even a moment that my father in law looks at women solely as sexual objects. And I sometimes even feel good about being found sexually desirable. But something about my father in law telling my 2 year old son that 'she is SEXY', and trying to get him to say it, REALLY REALLY rubbed me the absolute wrong way.
So Very Many Mixed Emotions
19 hours ago
4 comments:
That is exactly why the CMA's and the New (pop Country) is a Danger to Civilization.
Just think....if it had been Lorreta Lynn or Reba Mcentire,while Both are Stunning, that whole situation could have been avoided.
I blame the Music Industry. Not your FIL. But, on the other hand, he should know better.
That's my Two Cents....got change for a Dollar?
I totally disagree with above commenter-were it not for the extreme sexualization of the female body by our patriarchal socitey, this would be a non-issue because sex wouldn't sell. YOU GO!
While I DO love you cIII (and I totally agree that Pop country is a DtC ;0) ), I have to side with Kori on this one...
Thanks for the two cents, though...I will see if I can dig you up some change...
Thanks Kori, for some reason I knew you would get where I was coming from on this ;0)
That would have upset me too. I don't have a little boy, but I find myself getting angry over simple comments that are made to my daughter. Kids remember more than people think. They are little sponges.
Post a Comment