So L still won't sleep in his big boy bed after his snake nightmare the other night. He slept there for naptime on Monday and Tuesday, when he was home with W those two days, but when it comes to bedtime, at NIGHT, he's not havin it. Monday night he crawled into his big boy bed for about 10 minutes, but must have gotten to thinking about his dream, cuz then he was crying and adamant that he wanted to go into his crib.
Even after showing him multiple times that there are no snakes under his bed, and also telling him that his (stuffed) kitty and our other cats would eat any snakes that DID try to get into the house, he still wasn't convinced that it was okay.
W is of the mindset that we need to 'just make him sleep in his bed'...that somehow FORCING him to sleep there will miraculously make him get over his fear. *I*, on the other hand, am of the opinion that we continue to try and convince him that it is safe, and *try* to talk him into sleeping in the bed, but if he insists, that we let him sleep in the crib, and that sooner or later (and probably sooner) he will get over it and be back in his big boy bed. (So far, I am winning, lol ;0)) I can somewhat see his point and what he is thinking, but I still don't think forcing him to sleep there is the right way to go about it.
So, I will just keep trying to convince W that letting him come about it on his own is the right way to go about it, and hope that L decides soon that it is okay to sleep there in the dark.
So Very Many Mixed Emotions
20 hours ago
2 comments:
I think you are the one who is right. Because in my opinion (and we all know what THAT's worth, right?), it is just going to cause problems down the road to try to force him to confront and overcome his fears. when you are three, things are lot scarier and just don't make sense to us grownups. And besides, if he is the crib, at least you all get some sleep, right? :)
I'm with you and Kori, Mama. The more you persist with kids on certain things, the more they resist. This is one thing I know. It's damn hard to grow up in such a snaky world. The safer he feels, the braver he'll be able to be.
Post a Comment