In an effort to purchase less at Walmart, I stopped at Target (I know, not exactly buying 'local' and not exactly not big box store, but at least from what I have found they treat their employees better than Walmart does...) yesterday to pick up dish soap and detergent for the dish washer. I almost grabbed my usual bottle of off brand dish soap and Electrosol tabs when I saw the Seventh Generation products...I have also been making an effort to purchase, use and be more eco-friendly, and had heard people on my message boards talk about the Seventh Generation products. So after some price comparison, I determined that the $5 box of powder detergent for the dishwasher should do close to the 60 loads I would get out of the $10 box of Electrosol tabs...so I have to pour the powder in rather than open up a tab, so what? AND, the 25 oz bottle of 7th Gen dish soap was only $2.50. A little more expensive than the Target brand liquid, but hey, the bottle told me that if every American household would replace ONE 25oz bottle of petroleum (aka OIL) based dish soap with a plant derived soap (such as 7th Gen) we could save like 8600 barrels of oil which is enough to heat 4900 American homes for an ENTIRE YEAR (F*ck you, Big Oil). WOW. That's cool. For how much I use regular soap now that we have the dishwasher, I think I can spend a bit more. Not to mention, it is scented with Essential oil, and it is Lavender Mint scent, and I SWEAR it smelt like my friend's massage room, and if I close my eyes and focus I can almost convince myself I am there instead of standing in front of the sink washing dishes!! LOL...
So I am feeling good about accomplishing not only my goal of shopping less at Walmart (while trying to keep the budget the same or VERY similar) but also my goal of moving toward a more eco friendly existence :0) I can't afford to go to the Seventh Generation diapers, although the toll that conventional diapers exact on landfills and the Earth is horrible, I am going to check out some of their cleaning products, in addition to trying to break my addiction to all different kinds of cleaners and using vinegar and water for more and more of my cleaning needs...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I looked in the mirror recently and had deja vu of another time when I looked in the mirror and was extremely unsatisfied with what I saw...Well, LAST time I was disgusted and shocked (I will tell that story sometime soon), this time I am more unsatisfied and disappointed in myself, as I know how I got here, but since L is almost 2 years old, I can hardly say the reason I am not back to the body I want to be is because "I just had a baby"...So I am determined and getting back on track to working out. I am walking down to the workout center, working out for 25 minutes, stretching and walking back home...I have stuck to my schedule so far, which was Monday and Wednesday, and I am going to do at least one day this weekend, but am aiming for 2. It felt SO GOOD; my muscles were like AAAAAAAAH and ahhhhhhhh all at the same time, LOLOL! Surprisingly I am not sore yet. I am hoping my muscles have REALLY good memory, and will get back to their nice tone, firm selves in a quick fashion, LOL. I exercised regularly (walked 4 miles 5-6 days a week and did the circuit weight training 4-5 times a week) for what, like 5 years before I got pg with L, but when I got put on bed rest at 25 weeks that shot everything to hell, and I have had a hard time making it a priority since L was born...So I am hoping that once I get back into a routine, the weight loss and muscle toning will be easier this time than it was the first time :0)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We are all moved into our new office, and I guess I am getting used to it. The added drive kinda sucks (8+ miles each way), but soon enough I will be used to it and probably won't even notice it anymore. My office IS cool, I love that we didn't paint ANY walls WHITE, they are creamy-ish, with one blue wall in each office. We have nice wood flooring in the common areas which, combined with the walls, gives it a nice home-y feel, which is completely different than our previous space. I have moved my plants with me, and am going to get a couple more (I currently only have one in my office, the other one is out in the lobby), and I have my degree and award plaques on one wall space, and have started the wall of MY photo art on the other. I just need to take some time this weekend to dig out all the dozens of garage sale and thrift frames I have stored upstairs (I KNEW I would use them eventually :0) ) and print out more photos this weekend. I also have the little rock fountain my friend J gave me for my birthday set up in my office, which is nice. I bought a really cool Method air freshener disk (lavender lemongrass) yesterday, but it bugged the secretary, so I can't have it here :0( .
The one thing that I REALLY REALLY HATE is that there is only one bathroom here!?! The secretary and I, who have been used to having a bathroom to ourselves for the last 10 years (her longer) have to share with the 6 other men, as well as any Tom, Dick or Harry that walks in off the street!!!?!?!??! EWWWWWWWW! I go in there and the seat is open, and just having to touch it to put down up freaks me out a bit...I like these men and all, but I just don't like having to share a bathroom with them. UGH. I have a problem with the toilet lid being open; it's NOT about having the seat down so I don't fall in, it's about keeping the icky toilet CLOSED at all times when not in use...I am a bit OCD on that, ask my hubby, he will tell you, and thank goddess he was pre-trained in closing the lid by his mother...I just hate it. It is probably unfounded, but I don't care. I REALLY don't want to share a bathroom, and will probably try to use it as little as possible. Call me whatever, I don't care, I just want our own bathroom back.
So, that sucks. Big time. But otherwise, it is OKAY, and I am settling in and getting used to it, which I really have no choice but to do, so I might as well just try to get over it ASAP.
That's my misc stuff for today...
So Very Many Mixed Emotions
19 hours ago
1 comment:
I buy the Method cleaners. They work awesome. I use the tub/tile in the bathroom and it is eucalyptus and I use the all purpose cleaner which is cucumber melon. I am not good about using all natural cleaners all the time. I do use vinegar and water in the bathroom though. it's good for little boys who cannot hit the toilet (which you will realize soon enough). I have heard you can make your own laundry detergent. I know a couple people that do produce swaps or share in bulk purchasing.
Post a Comment