I hate alcoholism.
I can't say that I hate alcohol really, although I don't drink myself (save for an EXTREMELY rare Mike's Hard or a bit of wine), I do know that there are people who can have a few drinks and relax and go on with life.
Unfortunately, I have been surrounded in this life by those that CAN'T have just a few drinks and relax and go on with life. Maybe they started out that way, but they found something that easily filled voids that they desperately needed to fill. Something that, due to misfires in their brain or whacked out receptors or some chemical imbalance, they cannot enjoy in moderation, but continually and habitually take to the extreme.
My maternal grandmother's father was an acoholic.
My grandmother went on to marry an acoholic, my mom's dad. He was a MEAN MEAN alcoholic who kept his bottle next to his bed so he could take shots when he woke up at night. Who took a flask with him in the car to work and drank all day, every day. A man whose alcoholism brought out his demons which he unleashed on his family verbally and emotionally (and probably physically too).
My mom went on to marry a similar alcoholic. My dad has mellowed in his older age and his progressed disease, but he unleashed his fair share of demons on us throughout our lives. He never physically abused us (my brother and I), but I have at least a handful of vivid memories of him attacking my mom. I remember lots of nights spent on the stairs, sitting just at the edge of where the wall opened up, listening to them scream at each other, waiting to hear it turn physical, at which time I would run down and yell at him to leave her alone. I remember wetting the bed till I was like 10, and all the trips to the doctors and no one being able to say why it was happening. Simple answer; I was so tired by the time I returned to bed after my nightly vigil that I just couldn't get out of bed when I had to go...(I remember waking and thinking I need to go to the bathroom and picturing myself walking to the bathroom and going; I guess I just never made it out of bed.) I remember as we got a little older (and braver) screaming downstairs "SHUT THE FUCK UP, WE GOTTA GET UP FOR SCHOOL!!!" I remember them getting in screaming matches over something they disagreed about on the news?! I remember what I believed to be the last time my father got physical with mom (it was the last time he did it in front of us), and how my brother went off; broke a chair and screamed at them, and then locked himself in the bathroom. The physical seemed to stop after that, but the verbal continued.
(I later learned from my mom that that *wasn't* the last time, but that the physical stopped shortly after that when she finally fought back one night.)
My mom has her own issues with alcohol. She doesn't think she is an alcoholic because she doesn't drink ALL DAY, yet she drinks most EVERY day, and 'catches a buzz' most every day. She doesn't get as drunk as my dad, and she can abstain (like when she takes care of L) but the tendency is definitely there. Just because you are not falling down drunk every day does not mean there isn't a dependence there...
The two families that I grew up closest to had their own, somewhat similar somewhat different, issues with alcoholism. It just seemed normal to me that parents drank every night. And not just came home and had a drink or two, but got DRUNK, every night. Growing up around the bar like I did, it was just all around me. Alcohol was just an every day part of life. I didn't realize (sadly) until I was a teenager that there are A LOT of families that aren't like that.
My brother also has the tendencies. He is one who DEFINITELY cannot just have one or two; when he drinks, he gets PLOWED. He went through a phase in his twenties where he was drinking constantly. I hated him so much for that. It had always been him and I against the world, and we had hated what we grew up with SO MUCH, and how could he GO THERE? I never stopped loving him, and I never stopped letting him crash at our place, and I never stopped taking care of him (as much as it caused friction with W and I at times) but I really hated that person he was becoming. Thankfully, he has beautiful daughters and a wife and enough going on in life to keep him away from that life, but I have no doubts that the seed remains within him, and without care and vigilance, and presented with the right circumstances, he could easily wind up down that road.
I am no angel. I definitely have done my share of self medicating with substances, mine just happened to not be alcohol. It definitely ventured beyond experimentation at times, into the realm of addiction. Given the right (horrible) circumstances, I am sure it would not be impossible for me to fall into a life of addiction if I lost sight.
W's dad drank his fair share while W was growing up. There were other issues in his family that led him to also do some self medicating and experimenting with alcohol and other drugs, and he also drifted beyond the experimentation phase at times in his life. There was a time, after we had been together for about 6 years, before we got married, that I questioned if I wanted to be with him. He was drinking pretty heavily, on a daily basis, and although I loved him, and the thought of leaving seemed impossible, I KNEW that I did not want to marry my father. I had made myself a promise YEARS before, that I FULLY, without a doubt, intended to keep, and that was that I would NOT, no matter what, let my children grow up thinking that getting drunk every night was 'normal'. I would NOT continue the cycle. It was a hard time in my life. But, we talked, and I let it all out, and he made changes, and he grew, and I do not doubt that we were put together in this life to help each other.
When I was 20, a very close friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver who had a record of drunk driving offenses.
I have watched kids I grew up with take their experiences and react in different ways...some have taken the lessons, and like me, vowed to break the chain. Some have taken the lessons and set them aside and will inevitably continue to cycle.
Alcoholism never seems to back down...it is consistant in my life. It continues to knock on my door, no matter how many times I tell it is not welcome. It won't let me be. Now, it has returned in the form of my friend who has relapsed after so many years of being strong. It has and continues to cause me so much heartbreak. I hate it.
And yet, I know that its ever annoying presence serves a purpose. I AM intended to break the cycle. I DID choose this life, and these parents and these people who surround me and these challenges because I AM the catalyst for change.
And yet, knowing this does not make it any easier. I know I need to reach out to my friend who is struggling, and I know I will, but I just need some time to process this. Some time to work through the ANGER at the alcoholism that this current situation has re-ignited. And time to remember that I chose this because I *can* help make change, I *am* meant to break the cycle.
So Very Many Mixed Emotions
20 hours ago
4 comments:
beautifully said!
We both know, and have talked about it many times, that there will always be people in our lives that we cannot change or talk to or reason with.
All we can do it practice self-preservation and be prepared to let go of that life line holding us to them if it too much for us to handle.
I am reading a book right now "You Can Heal Your Life". I think you would like it. It mirrors a lot of the same thoughts that Lisa has.
Well, this is what's great about the world. You are never EVER alone. And while everyone deals with things in their own way (Some good, Some destructive) we're all still dealing with stuff!
However, presence and stillness and awareness are the greatest gifts you can give to yourself.
Find a situation, accept it, be there with it, and realistically know YOU and your reactions.
My real father (whom I rarely speak of) is an alcoholic. He's also a paint sniffer (Works(ed) in a body shop for 20 years and never wore a mask) I have memories of the arguments and the trying to run away. Of the poorly spelled (Stop yelling at my mommy) notes I slipped under their door. Of the kick the door down, beat my mother, unplug the phones, little girl calls police nights after they separated. Of the drunk, forced me to let him walk me down the isle, bruises on my arm wedding day. Of the stupid grin on his face after he barely had 1 sip.
His mom was the same. I used to care for my paternal grandparents. No 17 year old should have to wrestle your grandma off a chair because she's gonna make herself a highball! This is a grandma with Emphazema and 7 fractured vertebrae from Osteoperosis (I know I didn't spell those right)
And I know I have it in me too. Grandma's doctor was a family friend who gave her more pills than my cabinets could hold. I stole them all. I took them all. Hell I took grandpas blood thinners too. Anything! I couldn't walk/drive/or speak, but I sure felt good. ha! When they died and my pill supply went with it, I cleaned up. My mom never even knew. Now I know I can't handle it. When people offer me a vicodin or xanax or whatever, I just say no so as not to go down that rabbit hole again.
Funny thing is, I do enjoy a drink. I probably have a glass of wine or a cocktail most nights, but I don't have to. I've thought long and hard about it and made the conscious decision that if I am upset, I will not drink. When I'm traumatized I never drink. It works for me and I'm ok. I evaluate my life and if it's affecting me or others and I honestly think I'm ok.
When you talk to your friend, do that. Don't take it personal. Just talk to her from your heart. Not out of anger or hurt, but From your own personal truth. That TRUE intention could be all it takes to set the wheels of the universe in motion.
Thanks R, I will have to check that book out.
Marisa- Thanks. I only hope that maybe my true intention and love *IS* what finally convinces my friend to again seek the help that she needs. For her and her son.
Post a Comment