About Me

I am a 30 year old mom - of TWO BOYS!?!, wife, career woman, sister, friend, auntie and daughter and this blog is JUST FOR ME...In a busy life of putting everyone else first (as most of us mums do) it is going to be one of the things that I make time to do FOR ME...it's going to be a place for me to put down my thoughts and maybe make some sense of all the things that roll around in my head; make some sense of my journey...It's going to be a view of me, from inside.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

How-ween; and/or From the mouth of the Babe part 3

We watched "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" as a family last night. W and I have watched it every year for the last few, but this was the first time for L. He laughed his butt off, which was hilarious...He didn't even know what he was laughing at, and he laughed at inappropriate times sometimes, which made it funnier. It was his goofy forced laugh, which made it even MORE hilarious. It was great.


As soon as he saw the gang all dressed up in their ghost costumes, he got really excited

"How-ween!! How-ween!!"

and pointed and looked at me with that excited face; OMG! Look mama, look! Can you believe it?!

That has got to be one of the best parts of being a parent; seeing the big wide world through their eyes, learning again how to revel in simple joys and to recognize the beauty in all things.

The kids at daycare must be talking about 'How-ween' alot, getting excited, because that was the first time he had ever said that. He still doesn't 'get it' though; when I asked him what he wants to be for Halloween, he looked and me, smiled and said "Yeah!", lol.

So he is going to be Darth Vader for How-ween; well, actually, it's Anakin Skywalker, I guess, as he looked when he was a Jedi Knight before he went to the dark side...it is a little black jumpsuit with the different colored buttons on front, a cape, and a little felt Jedi Knight cap. He looks really cute in it, of course, and W is so excited since he had joked a couple of weeks ago that L should be Darth Vader. I didn't plan it, it just happened to be what I found Monday afternoon as I scrambled from store to store quickly between meetings and hoped I would find something suitable and that would not break the bank. I stopped at Halloween express, who happened to have the same Anakin Skywalker costume, but wanted $30 for it!?!? They pretty much wanted $30 for everything in L's size. I ended up stopping at Kohl's on a whim, and lo and behold, they had ONE Anakin Skywalker costume left, in L's size, on clearance for $7.99. Hell's ya, that's what I'm looking for :0)

I had had plans of being all on top of Halloween this year and getting something super cute on-line for cheap, like my stay at home sister in law, but I was not on the ball, and Halloween snuck up on me, and so I did the mad dash. My niece said she wanted to be a duck for Halloween, and she got a TOO CUTE chicken costume, and my younger niece will be a cow. I sometimes get so envious of her. My SIL that is...she always has time to stay on top of stuff like that, like Halloween costumes and 'special' outfits for all the Holidays. Poor L winds up in last minute Anakin Skywalker costumes and everyday outfits for Holidays. But then again, I think *I personally* am more fulfilled with my life than I would be if I stayed at home, not to mention that I know I value the quality of my time with L more because of it, and who needs special outfits for Holidays anyways? It's just one more thing to spend money on that they will wear ONCE in their life...

Did I mention that there is A LOT more adult orientated humor in "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" than I remember or ever picked up on as a kid? Not to mention that scene where Snoopy is a WWII fighter pilot and is flying his dog house and is engaged in a fire fight with the enemy, WTH? I felt like I was tripping...or SHOULD have been!!! Wow, psychedelic. L laughed at that part too. Which was funny. And scary. I had this flash forward vision of him and his friends, 16, sittin' around hittin' the bong laughing their asses off as the psychedelic Snoopy scene unfolds before them. UGH. He is mine and W's son though, so I should not be surprised if, in 14 years I walk in on that episode.

That's what I love about those older cartoons; they always had all this masked adult humor that made it easier for parents to watch along with their kids...I mean, Dora the Explorer and Go Diego Go are CERTAINLY not hiding any adult humor.

4 comments:

Kori said...

Owen has no idea what Halloween is about; he was THE most adorable chicked from Olda Navy last year (ebay, $8.00) and will be a dragon this year (wal-mart clearance last year, $3.00, even though I HATE wal-mart; someone else bought it for me!). I am looking forward to it for the kids' sake-two of my four are still young enough to really enjoy it. I digress: I really like how you put the bit about how "you personally" are much more fulfilled as a working mom; there are drawbacks, just as there are drawbacks to staying home, but even if I were wealthy, I think Iwould still work. I am a much better person, happier person, when I can work outside the home. I wish Icould go part time and be home more, sure, but I would go freaking NUTS if I had to stay home all the time!

justme said...

I too, wish I could do part time; or even work 4 days a week and have 3 day weekends, but right now in my career it isn't feasible.

I agree that if I was wealthy I would still work, but I guarantee it would be something MUCH different than what I do now; somthing I enjoy MUCH more. I don't hate my job, but could do with less stress :0) Somehing like gardening, or photography.

Oh, and I LOVE Old Navy's costumes; I really wanted to get L the bat one this year, but our Old Navy was out of his size by the time I got there :0(

goin-crazy said...

I was talking to M this morning and told her that Halloween was tomorrow. Chase was still sleeping (or so I thought) but he popped right up when he heard Halloween. He wanted to know if it was today. They have been asking me every day for a week!

I did get costumes fairy early (like 2 weeks ago) and I was fine with it. Holiday outfits do not happen, unless someone else buys them. And what is the point of holiday outfits anyways? It is for the parents' sake and not the kids. They could care less whether they are in fancy clothes or not.

You are in a good place. Don't use anyone else's life as the guage of your success. :)

I love you too!

justme said...

R-

LOL, at least this morning when they ask you get to tell them YES, it IS Halloween!

I agree on the Holiday outfits, L and B could care less what they are wearing :0)

And you are right, I am in a good place, and I am thankful for it :0)