About Me

I am a 30 year old mom - of TWO BOYS!?!, wife, career woman, sister, friend, auntie and daughter and this blog is JUST FOR ME...In a busy life of putting everyone else first (as most of us mums do) it is going to be one of the things that I make time to do FOR ME...it's going to be a place for me to put down my thoughts and maybe make some sense of all the things that roll around in my head; make some sense of my journey...It's going to be a view of me, from inside.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A wandering post about photography and reconnecting with the past...

I have been so busy lately, I haven't had much time to let my brain wander and think about things (which can be a good thing) but I feel my posts have gotten a little boring lately. So here is something a little more interesting :0)

I LOVE taking photos. I am the photo taker in our family, and amongst my friends. I can pretty much always be counted on to have my camera with and snap RIDICULOUS amounts of pictures to remember every ocassion by; from big important milestones to 'just hangin' out' moments.

There is something about looking through that viewfinder and freezing moments in time. Somehow it makes me feel like I have some control over this ever accelerating passage of time. I can capture people and places and feelings and file them away for safe keeping. As I move through life I see a landscape, or a bird, or an emotion and I want to see it through my viewfinder, frame it just so and record it forever as it is right then and there.

I would love to someday do it for a living...I only wish I would have realized this sooner. But I didn't; C'est la vie, I am where I am. All I can do is hope to make it happen by taking the long way around since I didn't take the direct route. So for now, it is a hobby that I someday hope to turn into something more.

A recent encounter with my friend Dana made my soul YEARN for more time to spend on my photography and made me, to be quite honest, a bit jealous of her :0) She is a couple of years younger than me, and is the sister of my BFF R (I really hate that expression, but it really does perfectly describe her, lol). I hadn't seen Dana in quite awhile, and we talked photography and caught up. I then also got turned on to her blogsite, which gave me an even deeper glimpse into her life as an adult, which is kinda weird, in a way...Ya know, up until recently in my mind she was just still little Dana...I grew up along side her, saw her quite often, but haven't seen her much since HS, and so she was just stuck there in time as little Dana. Now, she is unfolding into this REAL person, this ADULT person before my eyes. I have always liked her, but am finding that she and I seem to have more in common than I would have guessed. She has different interests than I might have thought she would...It feels good; to have a bit of a reconnection with someone whom I grew up with, especially at this time when I feel a bit short on and disconnected from female friends.

Dana and her SO are into mountain biking, competitively, and she is an amatuer photography nut, not unlike myself. She is "the photographer" for the men's circuit this year, from what I understand. She has been able to build herself a sweet little camera (which I am totally jealous of :0) ). Her and her SO travel around to all these wonderfully beautiful places, and she takes amazing photos on her travels. They have their group of riding buddies, with all kinds of experiences they have had together that give them a special camraderie. She is working toward making her passion, her photography, more than just a hobby.

It makes me miss the days before L when we had a group of friends with a camraderie like that...granted, our ties to each other were of a very different nature (something I may touch on at some point...not ready to blog on that part of my life yet) but it was there none the less. Makes me yearn for those days when we were financially able to pretty much do as we pleased (to an extent...we weren't rich, just didn't have the financial obligations that we have now such as mortgage, car payments, a child, etc), when I could have built myself a sweet little camera of my own (why didnt' I? Where did all that money go back then?) When were able to and could up and go somewhere on a whim. Makes me wish we WOULD HAVE done more traveling and exploring before we had L. I guess seeing her just made me yearn for that different time in my life again.

Seeing her and her work ALSO inspired me to MAKE more time to focus on this hobby. Which I have been. I try to not go anywhere without my camera now, because SO often I am going about my daily life and see things I want to capture, and the first step to being able to do that is actually having my camera with me. I have also been working with my camera and figuring out how to use all those options and manual settings I paid for :0) I am very much enjoying it. I have been wanting to share some photos that I have taken that I really love. So here they are.



This is actually an older photo, but it is one of my first 'babies', Hera. I actually have this photo published in a book of pet photos. It is the first really sweet photo I took with my camera. When you see it blown up it is so detailed; you can see cat hair on the blue blanket, lol...That's when I was like 'Whoa, this is a COOL camera!'








This one I took the other night, and I still need to crop it down a bit, I want to get those vehicles out of the frame. I love the feeling this shot gives me though. My little man running in his little toddler way.












This one is older too, and I didn't have the hang of focusing yet, it's a little fuzzy cuz the auto focus had trouble with the fur, but I am still proud of it. And it is my sweet little Simone.








This one needs a little editing with the coloring yet, but I like it.












Of course, these two have much more of an impact when they are printed out on a larger scale :0)














And, of course I think this is a great photo.















And that's it for now. This is probably the last post I will get to really put out there until after I get back from the cabin. I am still wondering how I am going to survive for 9 days without checking in on the blogs that I have gotten used to following!! UGH!! LOLOL... But you can BET I will be taking lots of photos at the cabin and 'making time for my hobby' :0)

Oh, and Thanks, Dana, for inspiring me. And I AM going to take you up on that offer to get together and play around taking photos...I am thinking this fall when the leaves are turning...I will get rid of L for a day and we can go somewhere fun and just take photos. I am very much looking forward to it!

No comments: